Monday 15 December 2014

Tis' the season

I haven't been posting much recently. Been so so busy with working (yes, I got a job), preparing everyone's Christmas presents and UCAS. UCAS is probably one of the most stressful things I have ever done, and I just want it all to be over with.
Since I got a job, I have been slowly earning money so I can afford to actually eat properly again. I must say, I have been getting better at cooking even though the £3 meal deal from Boots is always appealing.
One meal which I did cook for me and my flatmate was a spaghetti Carbonara. It was really easy to make. Because I am a student and no where near to the standard of Nigella Lawson (hero,btw), I did use a few cheat tips which made this meal really simple to cook and not going to lie, it tasted not too bad.
Basically, all you need is spaghetti pasta which you can get for around a £1 at any good supermarket (the value stuff, obviously), pancetta bacon which you can buy in packets for reasonably cheap, and a carbonara sauce which I got in the reduced section of Sainsbury's for £1.30. I also bought some chicken to throw in there because I was going all out.
And well the method is as follows- boil a pan of water with some added salt, then add in the pasta for around 10-12 minutes. As the pasta is cooking away, pan fry the pancetta and chicken until cooked. Once the pasta is cooked, drain it out and add in the sauce and the meat and give it a good wee mix.

LITERALLY THAT EASY. Not going to lie, I may of burnt the first batch of pasta and it all stuck to the pan, but second time round I got there in the end and did not receive any criticism from my grumpy as hell flatmate. Maybe one day I will learn to cook my own sauce, but for now I am sticking to the ready made stuff.
Mum also called me recently and asked if I wanted to help make the Christmas Day dinner. God help us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment